Friday, February 17, 2006

First Paper Assignment -- Due Mon Feb. 27, 11:59PM

Richard Cohen wrote a column on Wednesday for the Washington Post questioning the value of algebra. For your first paper assignment, I want you to write an editorial (max 1200 words) evaluating Cohen's argument. It should be clear from your essay whether or not (or on what points) you agree or disagree with Cohen. That is, your paper should put forth a clear thesis and defend it.

Some advice: Effectively completing this paper requires being able to clearly summarize Cohen’s argument. To do that you should focus on what assumptions he makes. Most arguments of this nature (yours included) boil down to a series of assumptions. Identifying the assumptions that Cohen makes – regarding objectives, tradeoffs, relationships, etc. – and the logical relation between them is the essential (and hopefully obvious) first step in evaluating his argument and constructing your own.

Your argument should reveal that you examined Cohen's argument and constructed your own using the basic tools of economics that we covered in class this week. However, you should try to avoid using too much economic jargon. You should think of your audience as consisting, not of just economists, but rather the set of readers of the Washington Post.

Grading – When I grade papers I do the following. I first read all the papers to get a basic sense of the distribution. I then read each carefully while trying summarize your points in my own words to make sure I understand them. As I do this, I comment on the strengths and weakness of your points and how they are made (i.e., how clear and engaging your writing is). While doing this I am looking for demonstration that you clearly understand the argument Cohen makes and a clear, thoughtful analysis of that argument and its conclusions using economic tools. That is vague, but it unfortunately is the best I can do.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]